Our speech and language therapists provide a specialised service of medico-legal report writing. We can provide medico-legal reports on any area of speech, language, communication and / eating and drinking, for both children and adults. Our medico-legal reports will be provided by our specialist speech and language therapists to suit the specific needs and requirements of the client and the report.
Why would an individual need a speech and language therapy medico-legal report?
Speech and language therapy medico-legal reports may be required for the following reasons:
- Medical negligence. For example, an injury at birth which affects a child's development of communication, or a head injury resulting in communication and / eating and drinking problems. In this situation our speech and language therapists will cost the price of the treatment the individual will need, when claiming for compensation.
- Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal (SENDIST). In this situation a child / young adult's communication difficulties may affect their ability to access their education, meaning extra specialist support is being sought.
- An assessment to determine whether a speech, language, communication and / eating and drinking problem exists or not.
- A review of the individual's medical notes and other relevant documents.
- Information on the individual's previous, present and future communication, eating and drinking ability.
- The individual's potential for improvement.
- A detailed assessment to determine whether an individual has a speech, language, communication and / eating and drinking difficulty, and how severe their difficulty is.
- A comprehensive and detailed report on the individual's assessment findings, their diagnosis and also the prognosis of the individual's difficulty. The medico-legal report will also include any recommendations for further treatment, and the cost of this treatment.
- Whether any specialist equipment is required e.g. communication aids.
- Capital and annual costs of specialist equipment
What will a speech and language therapy medico-legal report involve?
A speech and language therapy medico-legal report will involve the following:
How much does a speech and language medico-legal report cost?
Our medico-legal report writing service is charged on an hourly basis. We will provide a written quotation for the initial assessment and the report following an initial enquiry. A breakdown of the quotation will include a document review, assessment, travel and preparation costs of the report. The cost of a medico-legal report will vary for each client and will depend on the location of the client and also the time requirements of the assessment and report.
Joint expert meetings, further reports and attendance in court will be billed at an hourly rate.
How to instruct our speech and language therapists
Written or emailed instruction is required when instructing our speech and language therapists. Please provide the following information within the written or emailed instruction.
- The capacity of the appointment.
- Advise party / parties responsible for paying the fees.
- The reason for the report.
- Any issues to be addressed.
- Timescale of the report to be completed by.
- Relevant medical records including GP and hospital notes.
- Witness statements.
- Expert reports (with future reports to follow).
- Schedule of loss.
- Particulars of claim and defence.
- Relevant court orders.
- Any other relevant background information.
How long will the report take?
An initial assessment will generally be undertaken within two weeks of the instruction. Reports are generally provided within four weeks of the initial assessment.
For more information on our medico-legal report writing service or to contact one of our speech and language therapists regarding a medico-legal report please email email@example.com or call 0161 883 0077.
Back to top ↑