Speech and language therapy helps to improve and develop speech, language and communication. When working with individuals who have difficulty understanding, the speech and language therapist will help to improve their understanding of the information around them.
Understanding (receptive communication) is the ability to understand the information around us, this can include spoken, written and non-verbal (body language and gesture) information.
How can a difficulty with understanding impact on an individual's life?
An individual who has difficulty understanding will have difficulty in understanding the information around them. A difficulty in understanding can range from mild to severe and can impact an individual's life in many ways. An individual who has a difficulty in understanding will have difficulty in communicating effectively with others around them. Having a difficulty in understanding can affect an individual's performance in the educational, home, social and work environments.
How can speech and language therapy improve understanding?
Speech and language therapy will work on improving an individual's understanding, through a variety of techniques. Speech and language therapy will maximise the individual's ability to communicate as effectively as possible. The speech and language therapist may use a variety of treatment options to improve an individual's understanding. Treatment options can include:
- Total communication approach
- Individual therapy
- Group therapy
- Alternative and Augmentative communication
- Advice and education
What are the benefits of improving understanding?
There are many benefits of improving understanding. The main benefit of improving understanding is helping the individual to become a more effective communicator. Other benefits include:
- Allowing the individual to understand instructions, and what others are trying to communicate to them.
- Increased self-esteem and self-confidence about communicating.
- Participation in everyday tasks requiring communication.
- Increasing their ability to read and understand written instructions.
- Increasing the individual's ability to participate in social activities.
- Improving their quality of life.
- Helping them to access their educational and work environments to their full potential.
- Increasing the individual's ability to communicate with family and friends.
- Increasing the individual's ability to communicate with other professionals involved in their care.
How do I book an appointment with a speech and language therapist?
If you would like any more information on any of our services, or would like to book an appointment with one of our speech and language therapists then please contact us on 0330 0885 643.
Back to top ↑