At speech and language therapy we offer a specialised medico-legal report writing service. We provide medico-legal reports on any aspect of speech, language, communication and swallowing. We offer this service for both adults and children and will provide a specialist speech and language therapist to meet the specific needs of the client and the report.
Speech and language therapy medico-legal reports
We provide medico-legal report writing services for the following reasons:
- Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal (SENDIST), if a child or young adult has speech, language and communication needs which affects their ability to access their education. In this situation extra specialist support might be needed for the child or young adult.
- Medical negligence, for example if an individual has sustained a head injury as a result of an accident, which causes communication difficulties. Or an injury a birth which affects a child's development of communication. In this situation the speech and language therapist will be able to cost up the amount of present and future therapy input from speech and language therapy.
What do medico-legal reports involve?
Speech and language therapy medico-legal reports will involve:
- A review of the claimant's medical notes and other relevant documents.
- Details on the claimant's previous, present and future speech, language, communication, eating and drinking needs.
- A detailed assessment of the claimant's speech, language, communication and swallowing abilities. This assessment will determine whether the claimant has a speech, language, communication and / swallowing difficulty and the severity of their problem.
- A comprehensive report on all aspects of the individual's speech, language, communication and swallowing difficulties. The medico-legal report will include assessment results, the implication of these results, recommendations for any treatment needed and the cost of speech and language therapy input.
- The cost of any specialist equipment e.g. communication aids.
How much will a medico-legal report cost?
Our medico-legal report writing service is charged on an hourly basis. Following an initial enquiry we will provide a written quotation which includes, document review, assessment, travel and preparation costs of the report. The cost of a medico-legal report will vary for each individual client. The cost will depend on many factors e.g. the time requirements of the report and also the distance travelled to the claimant.
How long will a medico-legal report take?
Once our speech and language therapists have received written or emailed instruction for a medico legal report, an initial assessment will usually occur within two weeks. The medico-legal report will be written within four weeks of the initial assessment.
How to instruct our speech and language therapists
To instruct our speech and language therapist please email or write to us with the following information:
- The reasons for the report.
- Advise party / parties responsible for paying the fees.
- The requirements of the report.
- Any issues to be addressed within the report.
- A timescale for the completion of the report.
- A copy of any relevant medical notes or GP records.
- Any witness statements.
- Expert reports (with future reports to follow)
- Schedule of loss.
- Relevant court orders.
- Particulars of claim and defence.
- Any other relevant information.
For any more information on our report writing service please email firstname.lastname@example.org call 0330 0885 643.
Back to top ↑