How can we help you?
SLT UK’s team of speech and language therapists provide the Sensory Modality Assessment and Rehabilitation Technique (SMART) to assess individuals who have experienced changes to their consciousness levels following a brain injury.
A SMART assessment enables the clinician to establish whether the individual responds to sensory information provided by the therapist whilst they are in an altered conscious state. SMART provides the therapist and family members with information around the individual's levels of awareness and their communicative abilities whilst in a semi-conscious state in order to enhance the patient's quality of life and ensure that signs of awareness have been identified.
Our SMART assessment process
The SMART assessment will consist of ten sessions over a short period (up to 4 weeks) to assess the patient's awareness at different times and to provide an accurate measure of changes to functioning and communication over time. Specific rehabilitation programmes will then be identified dependent on the individual's need.
What are the benefits of SMART?
Our SMART trained speech and language therapists at SLT UK provide assessment that is evidence based.
SMART assessment can support an individual with:
- Ensuring the client has the optimum environment to identify the individual's functional abilities and awareness.
- Providing a range of materials and resources to identify whether alternative methods of communication can support the individual with
- Expressing their needs and wishes.
- An assessment approach that can ensure the accuracy of assessments over a period of time.
- Speech and language intervention based on the individual's specific needs identified through the SMART assessment process.
- Incorporating the individual’s friends and family members or relevant people into their intervention if wanted.
- Regular reviews and assessments to ensure the therapy intervention is based around the changing needs and abilities of the individual.
The speech and language therapist will discuss the assessment with the relevant people to ensure that the programme is appropriate to the specific needs of the individual.
If you feel you may benefit from speech and language therapy or would like any more information on our services please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0330 088 5643.